For Switches Running ExtremeXOS Software
When you have connected power to the switch and verified LED activity, complete the setup process as follows:
- Connect a management station to the console port using either an Ethernet to serial adapter or a DB-9 serial cable.
- Verify that the system LEDs are on (solid green or blinking green).
- Using PuTTY, TeraTerm, or another terminal emulator, connect to the switch using the serial port connection. Be sure that your serial connection is set properly:
- Baud rate: 115200 bps (for X590, X690, and X870 models)
- Baud rate: 9600 bps (for other models)
- Data bits: 8
- Stop bit: 1
- Parity: none
- Flow control: none
- Log in to the switch.
4a. At the password prompt, press ENTER (RETURN) twice.
4b. Enter user: admin
4c. For the initial password, simply press ENTER. (By default, there is no password.)
4d. Follow the screen prompts for initial configuration.
4e. Enter the show version command. Record the switch serial number. The
following is example output with the serial number in bold:
Transit.3 # show version
Switch : 800444-00-05 0723G-01234 Rev 5.0 BootROM:
- Open the Extreme Networks Support Portal.
- After logging in, go to the product registration page.
- Enter the switch’s serial number.
- Download the software to your PC from the software download page.
- Connect back to the switch using the console port, and connect an Ethernet cable from the switch’s management port to a serial port on your PC. (Alternatively, you can connect to the PC using a serial-USB adapter.)
You might need to reset the IP address on your PC to some address (for example, 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0) to avoid IP conflict.
- At the switch, set the IP address of the switch. For example: configure mgmt ipaddress 10.10.10.9/24
- Enter save config to save your configuration.
- Start a TFTP session using a program such as TFTPD64. Set the TFTP Server’s IP address option to match the one configured in step 9.
- At the switch, download the new software to the switch. For example: download image 10.10.10.10 summitX-184.108.40.206.xos
- When you are asked whether you want to install the downloaded software, enter Y.
- When the download and installation have completed, use the reboot command to begin using the version just installed.