The Summit® X670 series switches are versatile, purpose-built top-of-rack switches designed to support emerging 10 Gigabit Ethernet enabled servers in enterprise and cloud data centers.
The Summit X670 series switches are purpose-built top-of-rack switches designed to support emerging 10 Gigabit Ethernet-enabled servers in enterprise and cloud data centers. Summit X670 helps optimize new server deployments with its optional, future-proofing 40GbE uplink for 10GbE-based high-performance servers to start the transition to the new virtualized environment.
The Summit X670 series is available in two models: Summit X670V and Summit X670. Summit X670V provides high density for 10 Gigabit Ethernet switching in a small 1RU form factor. The switch supports up to 64 ports in one system and 448 ports in a stacked system using high-speed SummitStack-V320, which provides 160Gbps and 320Gbps throughput and distributed forwarding. The Summit X670 model provides up to 48 ports in one system and up to 352 ports in a stacked system using SummitStack-V longer distance (up to 40 km with 10GBASE-ER SFP+) stacking technology.
The Summit X670 series provides high-density Layer 2/3 switching with low-latency cut-through switching, and IPv4 and IPv6 unicast and multicast routing to enable enterprise aggregation and core backbone deployment in AC-powered and DC-powered environments.
Summit X670 series include the ExtremeXOS® modular operating system. The high-availability ExtremeXOS operating system provides simplicity and ease of operation through the use of one OS everywhere in the network.
- Top-of-rack switch for servers in enterprise and cloud data centers
- High-performance 10GbE core switch for a small network
- High-performance 10GbE aggregation switch in a traditional three-tiered network
- Interconnect switch providing low-latency connections for High-Performance Cluster Computing (HPCC)
From Our Blog
Working in the education market has many, often unexpected, rewards. Not only can we have an impact on the next…
If you have been following our blog series on digital badges you are familiar with the concept of digital badges…
The Summit X670 series provides intelligent switching and routing with exceptional high-performance stacking technology for next-generation enterprise and cloud data centres – with dedicated 40 Gigabit Ethernet uplink capabilities powered by the ExtremeXOS modular OS.
The Summit X670 model offers 48-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet non-blocking switching with 10GBASE-X SFP+ interfaces. Summit X670 is capable of Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding at up to 720 million packets per second forwarding rate in a small 1RU form factor, enabling next-generation high-performance server deployment in data centers. Both models support SummitStack-V high-speed, longer distance stacking.
The Summit X670V model can support an additional four QSFP+ ports of 40GbE with the optional VIM4-40G4X module. With this option, you can maximize the number of interfaces for servers up to 48 ports while using the dedicated four-port 40GbE module for uplink connectivity. Each 40 Gigabit Ethernet port can be independently configured as 40 Gigabit Ethernet or 4 x 10 Gigabit Ethernet; thus with the VIM4-40G4X module, Summit X670V can support up to 64 ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet in a 1RU form factor and is capable of Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding at up to 960 million packets per second forwarding rate. This configuration provides 3:1 over-subscription from front ports to uplink ports.
Summit X670V with VIM4-40G4X provides high-speed stacking running at 160Gbps through the SummitStack-V160 technology and 320Gbps through the SummitStack-V320 technology. SummitStack-V160 can be enabled on two 40 Gigabit Ethernet QSFP+ ports on the VIM4-40G4X. SummitStack-V160 is compatible with SummitStack-V80, which is available for Summit X460 and Summit X480 series switches. SummitStack-V320 is enabled using all four 40 Gigabit Ethernet QSFP+ ports on the VIM4-40GX module.
Summit X670 provides sub-microsecond latency and supports cut-through switching to help optimize the high-frequency trading application as well as latency-sensitive cluster computing.
Summit X670 supports IEEE Audio Video Bridging (AVB) standards to enable reliable real-time audio and video transmissions over Ethernet, for high-definition and time-sensitive multimedia streams with assigned Quality of Service (QoS). ExtremeXOS leverages AVB to identify and reserve network resources for A/V traffic streams and supports synchronous streaming capabilities to ensure reliable and high-quality A/V transmissions over Ethernet. AVB also enables time-sensitive multimedia streams to be sent over the Ethernet network with low latency and provides service quality.
The Summit X670 series is designed to be environmentally green. System power consumption is reduced at both high-load and idle situations through the power-efficient hardware design. The AC or DC power supplies are also highly efficient, which minimizes the loss of power and unnecessary heat generated by power supply.
Top-of-Rack Switch for Servers in the Enterprise Data Centers
In the enterprise data center, many servers and storage systems are packed in racks, with all systems needing high-speed connectivity. A top-of-rack architecture is one way to simplify the cabling infrastructure and minimize the space requirements in the enterprise data center. Summit X670 series is optimized to support 10 Gigabit connectivity for servers and other network-attached devices. With its 1RU design, Summit X670 allows maximization of computing power per rack without taking space away from other network-attached computing devices.
High-Performance 10 Gigabit Core Switch for a Small Network and Aggregation Switch in a Traditional Three-Tiered Network
Summit X670 series offers enterprise-core class scalability for both Layer 2 and Layer 3 switching. You can support up to 128,000 L2 MAC and 16,000 IPv4 longest prefix matching routes, 6,000 IP ARP entries and 3,000 multicast groups. The Summit X670 series switches can also be used in the network aggregation layer in an enterprise network. With its versatile design, the Summit X670 series simplifies enterprise network deployment.
High-Performance Cluster Computing
HPCC consists of many servers working cooperatively to solve large computational problems. With the use of relatively inexpensive servers, a significant amount of processing power can be cost-effectively packed into a relatively small footprint. Summit X670 series switches address the need for high-performance and cost-effective connectivity required for HPCC using 10 Gigabit Ethernet as the interconnect technology with its high-density 10 Gigabit Ethernet at a very low latency.
High-performance switching and routing
- Up to 1.28Tbps switching performance with 48- or optional 64-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet and 4-port 40GbE (Summit X670V) all running at wire rate
- High-performance SummitStack™-V, SummitStack-V160, or SummitStack-V320 stacking support for virtualized chassis configuration supporting mix-and-match with Gigabit Ethernet switches
- Sub one microsecond low latency for Layer 2 switching and Layer 3 switching
- Green design with very low power consumption and high-efficiency power supply
Data center switching
- SFP+10GbE ports with support for dual speed 10 Gigabit Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet providing smooth migration from Gigabit Ethernet to 10GbE
- Software configurable 40GbE QSFP+ uplink ports for native 40GbE as well as 4 x 10GbE to provide compatibility with non-40GbE capable systems
- Data Center Bridging support with Priority Flow Control (PFC), Enhanced Transmission Selection (ETS), and Data Center Bridging eXchange (DCBX)
- Scalable Virtual Machine (VM) deployments with Direct Attach™ (VEPA) for inter-VM switching and XNV™ (ExtremeXOS® Network Virtualization) for VM mobility
- Reversible air flow option to provide separation of cold and hot aisle in data center installation
- ExtremeXOS modular OS for highly available network operation
- Extends high availability across switches with Multi-Switch Link Aggregation (M-LAG)
- Carrier-grade packet ring protocol, Ethernet Automatic Protection Switching (EAPS)
- Internal redundant AC/DC power supply and 2+1 fan tray
- Robust MAC and IP security framework
- Threat detection and response with CLEAR-Flow security rules engine
- Motion sensor detection for physical security