The ExtremeSwitching universal switches enable you to choose from among the Extreme flagship operating systems to install and run on your switch:
On any universal hardware switch, the default operating system (OS) is Switch Engine or EXOS.
Extreme recommends onboarding your switch with ExtremeCloud IQ (XIQ). Log in or create your XIQ administrator account in order to select your switch OS at: https://extremecloudiq.com
Operating system selection and activation can be done via the following:
1. XIQ – automatically by pre-selecting the preferred switch OS.
2. Bootloader menu – option to change the switch OS on initial activation only.
3. Startup menu in Switch Engine (EXOS) CLI – post-Bootloader menu prompt.
This section describes Universal Hardware OS selection for factory-shipped devices.
To auto-activate the preferred switch OS once in XIQ, complete the following steps:
1. Under Add Devices, select the OS you want to run, then Select Next.
The preferred switch OS can also be selected as part of bulk onboarding using the CSV file option.
2. Complete the remaining onboarding steps. Optionally, you can skip to the summary.
3. Once you have reviewed your selections, select Finish. XIQ will send an image update request to the switch.
To change the switch OS via the Bootloader menu, complete the following steps:
1. Connect the switch to a console with a baud rate of 115200.
2. When the switch is powered on for the first time, after you see the Boot Menu screen, press the spacebar key within 30 seconds.
3. Use the down-arrow key to select “Change the switch OS to VOSS”, then select Enter.
4. The switch will install Fabric Engine/VOSS and then reset.
To change the switch OS if you take no action during the initial boot, complete the following steps:
1. Connect to the switch via telnet, SSH, or console with a baud rate of 115200.
2. Log in to the Switch Engine (EXOS) CLI with username: admin and no password, then select Enter.
3. The switch prompts you to choose which switch personality you want to use:
Would you like to change the switch OS to VOSS? [y/N/q]:”
• To select Switch Engine/EXOS, type N or q.
• To select Fabric Engine/VOSS, type y.
4. Select y. The switch installs Fabric Engine/VOSS and then resets.
This section describes changing your switch OS after initial configuration.
To change your switch OS with XIQ, complete the following steps:
1. Log in to your XIQ Administrator account at https://extremecloudiq.com.
2. Use the wizard to select Devices.
3. Check all the devices you want to change.
4. Select Actions to bring up the actions drop-down menu.
5. Select Change OS to change your switch persona, then select Save.
Result: XIQ will send an image update request to the switch.
Use this procedure in XIQ to upgrade the NOS:
1. Select all the devices you want to upgrade.
2.Use the wizard to select Upgrade Devices.
3. Select Upgrade IQ Engine and Extreme Network Switch Images.
4. Select Upgrade to Latest Version.
5. Check “Upgrade even if the versions are the same.”
Note: Ensure step 5 is completed in the case of a Firmware Upgrade for Fabric Engine/VOSS.
To change the switch OS from Switch Engine/EXOS to Fabric Engine/VOSS, see Changing the Network Operating System in the EXOS User Guide.
To change the switch OS from Fabric Engine/VOSS to Switch Engine/EXOS, see Network Operating System Personalities in the Fabric Engine User Guide.