Networking Field Day 7, aka #WNFD7 in the twitter world, is on February 19-21, 2014. Extreme Networks will be presenting on February 20! Although I will not be there in person, several of my colleagues will be there talking about Purview, a very exciting and break-through product we just released.
I take great pride knowing that we are presenting this fascinating product to this year’s delegates of #NFD7. Why? Because I believe this product is a first-of-its-kind network-powered application analytics and network optimization solution that delivers context-based knowledge about applications, users, locations and devices to facilitate better business decisions. And the audience at #NFD7 will truly appreciate it.
First let me start my referencing my last blog on Transforming your network to a strategic business asset. In that blog I explained how innovative CIOs have started to realize that the value of the network has moved up the pyramid of “hierarchy of needs” from providing connectivity to becoming the source of strategic intelligence to increase their business knowledge and acumen.
In this blog I will explain how Purview provides that insight! But first, here is a brief 80secs video on Purview that you may want to watch. Click here
Purview is a first-of-its-kind network-powered application analytics and network optimization solution that delivers context-based knowledge about applications, users, locations and devices to facilitate better business decisions. Purview helps organizations in three ways:
- Business analytics – Measure and report adoption, usage and responsiveness of applications and websites to analyze ROI on investments, increase business efficiencies and grow revenues
- IT network management – Accelerate troubleshooting through measurement and reporting of application and network performance, and optimize network design to improve user experience
- Network security – Detect use of unapproved and malicious applications to ensure compliance, and recognize instances of shadow IT
Product Distinguishing Features:
- Mining of network-based “business events” and strategic information in high-density venues and holistically displaying the information in a centralized command and control center dashboard
- Contextual Information with Depth and Granularity – Purview application identification uses deep packet inspection (DPI) to provide a rich analytical framework and granular controls for private and public cloud applications essential to your business. It can then associate additional contextual information such as who, what, where, when and how with any application.
- A Massive, Open and Customizable Application Signature Set – With a library of more than 7,000 applications with over 13,000 fingerprints and growing, and the ability to easily create your own fingerprint (in XML format), Purview can identify virtually any application.
- Simplified Integration with Connect SDN API – Purview can easily integrate with 3rd party applications. In fact, Purview has already integrated and acts as a data broker for the Extreme Networks SIEM product and Splunk software from Splunk, Inc.
- Network and Application Response Time Management – Purview separates application and network response times and reports them on a per-application basis or even per user basis for each application. This allows IT to focus on the true problem, eliminate finger pointing and quickly resolve the issue by easily determining if a performance problem is application/website related or network optimization related.
Please join our session on February 20th at 1:30PM/Pacific – 4:30PM/Eastern to learn more!
Ali Kafel is the Director of Product Marketing at Extreme Networks. He is also an Adjunct Professor at Suffolk University. Please connect with him at twitter @akafel for more thoughts and collaboration on this and other topics.