Taking on the Everywhere Data Center
The Extreme Pivot™ operating platform offers an automated solution to deploy full-stack advanced networking and security functions throughout the Campus. Pivot provides an agile and elegant solution to the security challenges created by the phenomenon being categorized as the “Everywhere Data Center.”
Extreme Pivot negates the need for manual or physical provisioning, removes location constraints, and greatly reduces security gaps caused by human errors or architectural limitations. Individual elements of the stack, including network virtualization and best-in-class advanced services, can be selected based upon the unique requirements of the subject application.
Pivot defines a new approach that delivers full-service networking, but is neither simply a new type of networking node nor a new server-based networking stack; Pivot combines the ubiquity of networking with the flexibility of compute.
The Extreme Pivot operating platform does for the network what the Hypervisor did for the Data Center: de-coupling and abstracting operating system from hardware, virtualizing networking, supporting additional advanced functionality, adding an orchestration capability, and empowering automation.
- Keep up with the explosion of IoT, cloud, and big data that’s moving your compute resources outside of four walls of the traditional Data Center and spanning across your campus locations. You may be drawn into this advancing wave to gain real-time access to data, reduce network load during business hours, and provide scaling to support IoT devices.
- Solve the challenges that come with rapidly evolving business applications and IoT devices, which are creating new east-west traffic requirements at the edge of the network.
- Use the Extreme Pivot operating platform to run out-of-the-box service chains to secure lateral campus traffic. The service chain elements, which we call pivot points, can be anything from a network operating system to network security services to analytical systems.
- Complement your security measures. As foundational functionality, Extreme provides hyper-segmentation, stealth, and elasticity capabilities for the Everywhere Data Center.
Extreme Pivot™ implements, what is in effect, a Linux overlay deployed on a base hardware platform that delivers a virtualized network functions capability and empowers service chaining. This abstraction creates a common-use host that allows for multiple guest networking functions to be supported and, where appropriate, orchestrated into chains and automated.
Extreme Pivot-ready host platforms are capable of, depending upon individual processing and memory capabilities, support a wide variety of virtualized networking, security, and advanced Layer 4-7 functions.
Examples, developed both by Extreme and third-parties, may include:
- Extreme VSP Operating System Software
- Extreme HyperSec Gateway
- Extreme SDN-based IoT Controller
- Extreme Virtualized Open Networking Adapter
- Application Firewall
- TCP Load-Sharing
- SD-WAN & WAN Optimization
- Address/Name Services
Addressing Lateral Security and Efficiency as Resources Move Outside the Data Center
Running on agnostic hardware such as networking switches, x86, or ARM platforms, Extreme Pivot™ houses virtual network service containers. The services, called pivot points, can include a virtualized network operating system, network virtualization, firewall, IDS/IPS, QoS, and gateways.
Acting like a hypervisor for virtual machines, Linux, KVM and Open vSwitch are the software elements that operate and manage the virtual network service containers. The Extreme Arc™ orchestration engine deploys pivot points into networking service chains. Northbound APIs allow integration into other enterprise systems.
- Secure multi-directional flows: The Extreme Pivot operating platform plus the Extreme Arc orchestration engine automate protected east-west traffic with a complete service chain of security and network function virtualization.
- Accommodate increasing scale: With automated service chains, the fragmented nature of an Everywhere Data Center is supported by reducing the burden on resources between the campus and data center.
- Reduce manual and physical provisioning: Scaling restrictions, manual configurations, cost and complexity of standalone appliances, and human error are all reduced.