As anyone watching the network industry, the open movement and SDN is gaining not only mindshare, but also new products, new ideas and lots of excitement. In fact, Vala Afshar (@ValaAfshar) of Extreme has just published 10 key reasons to use open source at Huffington Post, following his discussions with Neela Jacques (@NeelaJacques) of the OpenDaylight Project, which Extreme announced our inclusion and commitment to an open source controller.
Without further delay, here is what has happened today:
1. We have named the judging panel for the SDN Innovation challenge, and there are eight industry luminaries who really know the game changing potential of SDN.
- Bob Laliberte, formerly an industry analyst with ESG focusing on data center networking technologies and management software. Today Bob serves as vice president of marketing for Empirix.
- Ivan Pepelnjak, a known industry blogger, and chief technology officer for NIL Data Communications.
- Joel Mambretti, director of the International Center for Advanced Internet Research at Northwestern University.
- Dave Meyer, CTO and Chief Scientist at Brocade Communications. Chairman of the OpenDaylight Project Technical Steering Committee.
- Brian Gruttadauria, vice president of Architecture, Enterprise Product Group, at Lenovo.
- Melathi Veeraraghavan, Professor in the Charles L. Brown Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering at the University of Virginia.
- Glenn Ricart, CTO for US Ignite, and who also set up the first Internet Exchange point in 1988. Glenn is also a 2013 Internet Hall-of-Fame inductee.
- Billy Moon, a distinguished engineer at Extreme Networks, who holds over 100 U.S. and Foreign patents.
2. Second Phase I of the SDN Innovation Challenge commences today. This is phenomenal opportunity for those with ideas they want to share and potentially receive an award.
In this phase, participants will sign-up for the Challenge by submitting an abstract and a 1-minute video pitch of the idea they propose to develop. This initial Submission deadline is October 10, 2014.
Awards: Based on scoring by the above expert panel of judges, Extreme Networks will award the following prize money to the top three winners:
- Grand Winner: $5,000
- First Runner-Up: $3,000
- Second Runner-Up: $2,000
3. Thirdly, and one of the most interesting developments, is that Extreme Networks is now delivering our Extreme SDN Platform for Developer Access.
Extreme is making available, in limited release, the Extreme Networks’ SDN Platform targeting technology partners, developers, business partners and customers. This will allow interested parties to engage with Extreme and SDN technologies to explore new ways to evolve and realize financial advantages of SDN now by creating a pathway for innovation and differentiation. Extreme will also provide remote access to a pre-configured lab on a limited basis. Those interested in learning more, please visit our website at http://extremenetworks.com/solutions/sdn or send an email to email@example.com.
The Extreme SDN Developer Kit will allow developers to gain advanced insight into the Extreme SDN platform, it’s open interfaces and capabilities so they can start thinking about how to leverage the power of the Platform to solve their business critical needs.