The Summit® X650 series switch is a purpose-built Top-of-Rack switch designed for emerging 10 Gigabit Ethernet-enabled servers deployed in enterprise data centers. Summit X650 helps optimize new server deployments while providing a seamless migration path from existing Gigabit Ethernet-based servers to 10 Gigabit Ethernet-based high-performance servers, to start the transition to the new virtualized environment.
From Our Blog
With the age of the digital employee upon us, the workforce has evolved beyond the cubicle walls to include off…
During my college freshman orientation I asked my tour guide, “Where are all the books?” He replied, “I always get…
Benefits & Features
The Summit X650 switch provides remarkable high density for 10 Gigabit Ethernet in a very small 1RU form factor for up to 32 ports in one system and 192 ports in a stacked system. Summit X650 offers two of the most advanced 10 Gigabit Ethernet technologies: 10GBASE-T and SFP+ to accommodate the needs for both copper twisted pair cable and optical fiber-based 10 Gigabit Ethernet. Optionally, the VIM3-40G4X can be added to provide 4 ports of 40GbE connectivity.
With its versatile design, the Summit X650 switch supports exceptionally high density Layer 2/3 switching with ultra low latency and highly scalable IPv4 and IPv6 unicast and multicast routing to enable enterprise aggregation and core backbone deployment in AC-powered and DC-powered environments.
By combining our Ethernet switch SummitStack™ stacking technology with the Summit X650, Extreme Networks® has created a market-changing high-density 10 Gigabit Ethernet stackable solution. The Summit X650 switch offers a flexible stacking option to optimize multiple deployment scenarios, providing backward compatibility with the 40G SummitStack and ultra high-speed SummitStack256 running at 256 Gbps. With SummitStack, Summit X650 can be stacked up to eight units, providing up to 192 ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet in an 8RU height. Summit X650 also supports an optional SummitStack512 module running at 512 Gbps, which allows clustering two Summit X650 switches together for a non-blocking 48-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet solution. In addition, the X650 also supports the VIM3-40G4X module which provides stacking using SummitStack-V80, -V160, or –V320.
Summit X650, with its ExtremeXOS® modular operating system, helps simplify network operations. The ExtremeXOS operating system, common across all Extreme Networks switches, provides high availability and simplicity with one operating system everywhere in the network.
Summit X650 helps address networking growth, including high-speed 40 Gigabit Ethernet with its remarkable Versatile Interface Module architecture built into the switch. Summit X650 also helps address security and regulatory concerns with Common Criterial EAL3+ certification.
High Performance Switching and Routing
- 24-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet non blocking switching with 363 million packets per second forwarding rate in a 1RU form factor
- 256 Gbps ultra high-speed stacking for up to 8 units in a stack to provide up to 192 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports with one logically integrated unit
- Up to 32 ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet per 1RU height with optional 8-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet SFP+ interface module
- Up to 16 ports of 40 Gigabit Ethernet QSFP+ ports when 8 units stacked together using SummitStack-V160 with the optional VIM3-40G4x module
- Ultra low latency switching for High Performance Cluster Computing (HPCC)
- From high-performance server switching to enterprise network aggregation and core deployment by supporting highly scalable Layer 2 and IPv4/v6 unicast and multicast routing
- One network operating system for the Ethernet switches everywhere in the network
- 10 Gigabit Ethernet over UTP for up to 100 meters and SFP+ for fiber installation
- Flexible SummitStack architecture provides virtualized switching system for 10 gigabit, gigabit and Fast Ethernet ports
|Virtualized Port Density in a Stack||Rack Units||Stacking Bandwidth
|48-port 10G||2RU||512 Gbps
|192-port 10G||8RU||256 Gbps
|192-384-port 10G + 1G + 100M||8RU||40 Gbps
- ExtremeXOS modular operating system for highly available network operation
- Carrier-grade redundant networking protocols including Ethernet Automatic Protection Switching (EAPS)
- Internal Redundant AC/DC power supply and field replaceable fan tray with front-to-back cooling
Summit X650 offers intelligent switching and routing with remarkable high-performance stacking technology for next generation enterprise data centers—as well as dedicated 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplink capabilities powered by an ExtremeXOS modular operating system. With its low packet forwarding latency, Summit X650 contributes to enhancing the high performance computer cluster environment.
|Ports||24-port 10GBASE-T or 24-port SFP+ with one VIM1 slot
|Layer 2/3/4 throughput||363 Million Packets Per Second (24-port 10GbE wire rate) and up to 506 Million Packets Per Second aggregated throughput (with VIM1-10G8X)
|Management port||One 10/100/1000BASE-T RJ-45 (1G) port for out-of-band management
|Console port||RS-232 DB-9 console port
|USB Interface||USB memory stick support for image/configuration upload/download
|Power Supply||Dual redundant AC or DC, Hot swappable PSU, 7.5A@115VAC, 3.5A@230VAC, 800W (Summit X650-24t: 10GBASE-T), 5.7A@115VAC, 2.7A@230VAC, 600W (Summit X650-24x: SFP+)
|FAN/Cooling||Removable fan module / Front to Back cooling
|Dimensions and Weight||1.73 x 17.35 x 25 (inch) / 26.5 inch depth including PSU handle, 22.25 Lbs (without PSU), 2.75 Lbs (AC PSU)
|L2 Switching||IEEE 802.D, IEEE 802.1W, IEEE 802.1S, EAPSv2, ESRP
|L3 Routing||Static, RIPv1,RIPv2,OSPFv2,OSPFv3, IS-IS, BGP4
|VLANs||4,094 VLANs with Port, 802.1Q tag, Protocol, MAC-based VLAN
|IP Multicast Routing||PIM-DM, PIM-SM, PIM-SSM, Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP) with 2K multicast groups
|ACL||Ingress and egress ACL support
|QoS||8 egress queues per port, 802.1p, Diffserv, ACL based, Strict Priority and WFQ with min/max bandwidth control
|Stacking Support||SummitStack (40Gbps, default), SummitStack256 (256Gbps), SummitStack512 (512Gbps), SummitStack-V80, SummitStack-V160, SummitStack-V320|