Summit® X480 Series – the scalable and versatile Gigabit and 10 Gigabit Ethernet switch.
The Summit X480 series switch is a versatile, high-end Ethernet switch for data center, enterprise aggregation, and Carrier Ethernet deployments. Summit X480 helps optimize application performance for a variety of network deployments with its rich features and high scalability.
Summit X480 provides high density for Gigabit Ethernet in a small 1RU form factor for up to 48 ports in one system and 384 ports in a stacked system using backward compatible SummitStack™, high-speed SummitStack128 running at 128 Gigabits per second, SummitStack-V, which utilizes 10GbE ports as stacking ports, enabling the use of standard cabling and optics technologies used for 10GbE, SummitStack V80, V160, or V320 for 80Gbps, 160Gbps, or 320Gbps of stacking bandwidth using standard cabling and optics for 40GbE. Summit X480 also offers 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity for up to 18 ports in one system and 80 ports in a stacked system using QSFP+ to SFP+ breakout cables. For emerging demands from voice/data convergence and storage, Summit X480 provides highly scalable Layer 2/3 switching and MPLS/HVPLS by supporting up to 512K Layer 2 MAC addresses or 512K IPv4 Longest Prefix Match routing tables. Summit X480 enables data center, enterprise and Carrier Ethernet aggregation, and core backbone deployment in AC-powered and DC-powered environments. Summit X480 simplifies network operation with the ExtremeXOS® modular OS, available across a wide range of Extreme Networks Ethernet switches. The ExtremeXOS operating system provides high availability and simplicity with one OS everywhere in the network.
High-performance and highly scalable switching and routing
Summit® X480 offers core-class intelligent switching and routing with exceptional port density and high-performance stacking technology powered by the ExtremeXOS® modular OS. With its high-performance switching and routing, Summit X480 helps enhance the data center, Carrier Ethernet and enterprise aggregation network.
High density, small form factor
Extreme Networks Summit X480 provides high density for Gigabit Ethernet in a very small 1RU form factor for up to 48 ports in one system and 384 ports in a stacked system using backward compatible SummitStack™ or high-speed SummitStack128 running at 128 gigabits per second. SummitStack-V80, V160, and V320 are also supported using the 4 x 40GbE ports of the VIM3 module.
Summit X480 also offers 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity for up to six ports in one system and 16 ports in a stacked system, with the industry standard XFP interface. For emerging demands from data, storage, voice, and data convergence, Summit X480 provides highly scalable Layer 2/3 switching and Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS)/Hierarchical Virtual Private LAN Service (H-VPLS) by supporting up to 512K Layer 2 MAC addresses or 512K Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) Longest Prefix Match routing tables.
High availability and simplicity
Summit X480 enables data center, enterprise and Carrier Ethernet aggregation and core backbone deployment in AC-powered and DC-powered environments. Summit X480 simplifies network operation with ExtremeXOS modular OS, available across Extreme Networks Ethernet switches. The ExtremeXOS operating system provides high availability and simplicity with one OS everywhere in the network.
High-performance switching and routing
- 48-port Gigabit Ethernet or 24-port gigabit and 2-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity in a 1RU form factor
- Optional 4-port 40 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) to provide 160Gbps uplinks
- Optional 4-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) to provide 40Gbps uplinks
- Optional 40Gbps stacking for up to eight switches in a stack to provide up to 384 Gigabit Ethernet connections in one logically integrated unit
- Optional 128Gbps stacking for up to eight switches in a stack to provide high-speed stacking
- Optional stacking via 10GbE ports (SummitStack-V)
- Optional SummitStack-V80 80Gbps stacking
- Optional SummitStack-V160 160Gbps stacking or Summit Stack-V320 320Gbps stacking
- Supports Layer 2 and Layer 3 switching, as well as MPLS/H-VPLS
High scalability in a 1RU compact switch
- Up to 512K MAC address support for scalable Layer 2 networks
- Up to 512K IPv4 routes for scalable Layer 3 networks
- Up to 60K Access Control Lists (ACLs) for secure networks
- ExtremeXOS® modular OS for highly available network operation
- Carrier-grade redundant networking protocol including Ethernet Automatic Protection Switching (EAPS)
- Internal redundant AC/DC power supply and field replaceable/hot swappable fan tray
High-performance switching and routing
Summit® X480 is available in three different port configuration options: 24-port Gigabit Ethernet and 2-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet (Summit X480-24x), 48-port copper Gigabit Ethernet (Summit X480-48t), or 48-port fiber Gigabit Ethernet (Summit X480-48x). All ports run at non-blocking, wire-speed performance. Flexible configuration offered by using optional VIM2 modules which are: 4-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Module (VIM2-10G4X), 2-port SummitStack Module (VIM2-SummitStack) and 2-port SummitStack128 Module (VIM2-SummitStack128). The VIM3-40G4X module is also available on the X480 and provides the ability to stack using SummitStack-V80, V160, and V320.
- 176Gbps switch fabric bandwidth
- 224Gbps, 448Gbps (with VIM2-10G4X or VIM3-40G4X) aggregated switch bandwidth
- 71.4Mpps, 101.2Mpps (with VIM2-SummitStack), 166.7Mpps (with VIM2-SummitStack128), 130.9Mpps (withVIM2-10G4X or VIM3-40G4X) frame forwarding rate
- Less than 4 microsecond latency (64-byte)
- 9216 Byte maximum packet size (Jumbo Frame)
- 128 load sharing trunks, up to 8 members per trunk
- 4,094 VLANs (Port, Protocol, IEEE 802.1Q)
- 8,192 ingress and 1,024 egress ACL rules/ Front panel ports and /VIM2-10G4X module
- 64bit MIPS Processor Dual Core, 1GHz clock
- 1GB ECC DRAM
- 256MB Compact Flash
- USB port for external USB flash QoS, Rate Limiting
- 8,192 ingress bandwidth meters/Front panel ports and /VIM2-10G4X module
- Ingress and egress bandwidth policing/rate limiting per flow/ACL
- 8 QoS egress queues/port
- Egress bandwidth rate shaping per egress queue and per port
- Rate Limiting Granularity: 8Kbps LED Indicators
- Per port status LED including power status
- System Status LEDs: management, fan and power
- 12-port 100/1000BASE-X SFP, 12-port 100/1000BASE-X SFP and 10/100/1000BASE-T Combo, 2-port 10GBASE-X XFP, 1 open slot for VIM2 or VIM3 modules (Summit X480-24x)
- 44-port 10/100/1000BASE-T, 4-port 100/1000BASE-X SFP and 10/100/1000BASE-T Combo, 1 open slot for VIM2 or VIM3 modules (Summit X480-48t)
- 48-port 100/1000BASE-X SFP, 1 open slot for VIM2 or VIM3 modules (Summit X480-48x)
- 1-port RS-232c Serial (control port)
- 1 10/100/1000BASE-T out-of-band management port
External ports for VIM2 modules
- 4-port 10GBASE-X XFP (VIM2-10G4X)
- 2-port 20G SummitStack (VIM2-SummitStack)
- 2-port 64G SummitStack (VIM2-SummitStack128)
External ports for VIM3 modules
- 4-port 40GBASE-X QSFP+ (VIM3-40G4X) Option Slot
- Slot for Versatile Interface Module 2 (VIM2) or Versatile Interface Module 3 (VIM3) available for Summit X480-24x, Summit X480-48t and Summit X480-48x
Power supply support
- Summit X480 AC PSU and Summit X480 DC PSU